Her name is Lauren and she is 11. Rachel and Lauren both skate under Coach Claudia, which is how we met. Lauren's mom has a fairly serious cancer in her neck/jawline. Rachel had been helping Coach Claudia pick music and put a routine together for Lauren to skate in our home ice competition in July. The girls became fast friends during the month of June. Lauren started coming over alot, and I got to know her story a bit. She had fallen through the cracks in Public School and dad was about to start a new job driving long haul trucks so he could earn more money to compensate for mom not working while undergoing Chemo and Radiation. One night I was at Lauren's house letting her mom cry on my shoulder, and realized that I could solve many of her problems at one time with a very simple gesture.... I (We) are now Lauren's temporary guardians. We inherit her every weekday morning about 8 am. During the day, I get both girls to their skating lessons and practices, homeschool both girls (in an attempt to get Lauren back to her correct grade level in her studies). Lauren is progressing nicely and has already made up much lost ground after doing "summer school" with me most of the summer. And get both girls to dance lessons. Lauren takes ballet one day a week with Rachel. Then she goes home in the late evenings (sometimes just before bed time). I also make sure she gets to church youth group and such. She spends many weekends with us as well, as the girls cannot stand to be apart for more than 8 hours at a time. They refer to each other as "sis" and she has made a nice addition to our family, even if just until her mom is well.
Please pray for Lauren's mom, Linda. That she will have a speedy recovery from her Chemo and Radiation and that she will experience a full remission of her cancer.
No comments:
Post a Comment